Monday, August 29, 2005

Same-Sex Marriage - Have the Best Interests of Children Been Considered?


Citizen Impact Canada, a group described as "dedicated to equipping Canadians for the effective expression of faith-based principles in the public square," has posted a very enlightening testimony on its Web site from a woman who grew up in a homosexual household. The testimony includes links to various sources and research to support the thesis that endorsement of same-sex marraige puts children in jeopardy. Here are some quotes from the article:


"My name is Dawn Stefanowicz, I grew up in a homosexual household during the 60's and 70's in Toronto exposed to many different people, the GLBT subcultures, and explicit sexual practices. I am currently writing a book, soon to be published, on this experience. As well, I was a witness at the Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs on Bill C-250 (hate crimes), and I have presented at the local school board.

My biggest concern is that children are not being discussed in this same-sex marriage debate. Yet, won't the next step for some gay activists be to ask for legal adoption of children if same-sex marriage is legalized? I have considered some of the potential physical and psychological health risks for children raised in this situation. I was at high risk of exposure to contagious STD's due to sexual molestation, my father's high-risk sexual behaviours, and multiple partners. Even when my father was in what looked like monogamous relationships, he continued cruising for anonymous sex."

Click here for the entire article.